Thursday, October 7, 2010

Grilled Cheesus (Glee) Overview

So I think this episode of Glee has become one of my favorites of all time. Mostly because it actually had a storyline that was executed properly and the song choices were great. I don't really want to write a whole 5 page thing about every breath the characters took so here are the high points.
  • Finn thinks he has found a direct line to God through his Grilled Cheesus (grilled cheese that has a burn mark that looks like Jesus' face). With it, he makes three wishes 1) For them to win their first football game, 2) That he'll get farther than second base with Rachel and 3) for him to become starting quarterback again.
  • Kurt's dad has a heart attack and that's why he is in the hospital. Everybody sings a song for Burt in prayer even though Kurt isn't really happy about it. He doesn't believe in God because of the views that Christians have on the gay community.
  • Sue and Will have it out about the fact that the glee kids are doing songs about spirituality. Makes sense because it is a public school but her overreaction is kinda hilarious. “Well William, if your kids want to praise Jesus in class, I suggest that they enroll at Sweet Mary Holy Mother of God Academy on I love Jesus Street, but not here. This country is not a monarchy, William. Trust me, I’ve tried.” -Sue Sylvester.
  • Kurt re-evaluates how he spends his time, seeing that he doesn't spend as much time as he should with his dad. The flashbacks during "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" made me cry.
  • When Finn realizes that his sandwich isn't a link to God after talking to Ms. Pillsbury about his guilt over Sam getting hurt in their game, he sings "Losing My Religion" in the library. I have to say, his naivete went a little too overboard this episode. He isn't really that dumb, I hope.
  • We see some more of Sue's sister, Jean, in this episode. They talk about religion and Jean asks if Sue wants her to pray for her and Sue says yes.
  • The episode closes with the club singing "One of Us" and Burt sort of waking up. (Yay!)
Overall, I think that the episode didn't shove religion down our throats, it showed us how each character felt about a higher power. Not everyone has to believe in God, just something bigger than themselves.

Diagnosis: Best episode yet.

Wish you well,
St. Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment